Friday 17 April 2009

Portugal Trip

We decided to go on a trip to Portugal with friends who also have a motor home.

Our first stop was for two days in Gibralta,I had read a lot of the history of Gibralta and was looking forward to seeing it for myself, I was not disappointed. For miles we could see THE ROCK in the distance as it got nearer my excitement grew

WE parked the van in a motor home eires on the Spanish side and walked into Gibraltar. We use these aires a lot as they are specially for motor homes to stay on over night free of charge.

We went round the shops first, all duty free and had a meal. The next day we took the official sightseeing trip round the Island wow it was great. We were taken up the rock to go into some caves they were very much like the Blue John Caves in Derbyshire


From there we went father up the rock to see the Barbary Apes they were wonderful to watch and so funny.Brian beside one of the Apes, I hope you can tell which is which?

This one would not let the taxi pass it just sat there untill the drive got out and chased it away



As you can see they get plenty of food.




This family was so cute they were on the wall at the top of a drop down to the see a long way down.

We asked the driver if they had to keep the number of Apes down and he told us they Kept them down to 200 but none were killed they sent the older ones to Zoo’s around the world.
After pulling ourselves away from them we went father up the rock to the tunnels.
These have been used in the First World War British soldiers had cut them out, they

went a long way into the Rock and the troops live in them while protecting the Gibraltar Straights.

On the island is the Hundred Ton Gun this points out to sea but has never been fired in battle.


This is the shell for the gun.



This is the view from the rock down to the sea.

This is the motor home aires on the Spanish side from a window in the tunnel (no glass in the windows just holes cut5 out of the rock).

Well it was time to leave Gibraltar and head for Portugal.

We will be paying another visit to Gibbraltar again it was so interesting.

6 comments:

weechuff said...

Nice to see you blogging again Jeanette! As usual, an interesting blog. I think I can make out which one is the monkey, and which one is Brian! I bet the monkeys were cute, although I suppose they could be a nuisance to visitors. Do they steal stuff from the visitors?

granny grimble said...

Welcome back to the fold Jeanette, you have been sorely missed. Gib looks lke a very interesting place to visit. Those apes sure make a mess don't they? Are they completely tame or do they bite now and then? Don't stop blogging now you've started. I hear you're off on your travels again soon so I expect lots of adventures from you.

Babs-beetle said...

Ooh I think those apes might make me a bit nervous :O)

Jeanette Spain said...

No they did not steel anything, they did´t seem to mind you being there.

Croom said...

Ooh what a very interesting blog Jay, very good photos too.

I think I may have been a little nervous of the monkeys as well, they looked a bit big!

Glad you are up and running again although I doubt if we will here from you for about six months blog wise whilst you travel.

Jeanette Spain said...

hanks Tina I will blog when I find a hotspot.