Saturday 2 August 2008

Bessie Part two

Well we left Whitby making for what I think of as home excitment growng in me wondering what changes I would find after all the years way (left this area in 1964). First place we came to was Redcar shall we stop says Brian, inpatient me says no there is nothing of intrest there keep going.
I remembered there was a camp site at a place called Crimdon Dene a few miles from where I lived and a lot of my childhood was spent there, I was hoping it would still be open.
As we came back on to the coast road I let out a yell we are at Seaton Crew (you may recognise the name from the story in the news of the man who went missing then came back from the dead). Not far now through Hartlepool then Crimdon.
As we got nearer I could see caravans Fingers crossed we drove in and asked the question any room here YES there was, I did control the urge to hug her.

After geting setting up the motorhome I full of pride for my home teritory set off to show Brian the sites and places of my childhood, I have seen all Brian's childhood haunts in Lincolnshire now it was my turn.
I walked him down the cliff to the beach then we walked along to Blackhall rocks, As a child I never got as far as going into the tunnels in the rocks as I was a coward and as soon as it got dark I legged it out of them, my cousin William used to tell me the smuglers still haunted the tunnels looking for their loot, that was enough for me.

Walking a long here brought back so many memories when I used to climb over these rocks with my friends, as we walked home after spending our bus fares, it was easier to walk along the shore than on the road.
The next day we set off for Durham City, we visited Durham Cathederal, which I had visited so many times with school.

The cathederal is the resting place of St. Bede and St Cuthbert who brought Christianity to the north east of England.
St, bede and st. Cuthbert both have conections with Holy Island in Northumberland. (more on this later).
The cathederal has a sanctuary knocker on the main door, I think brian was hoping for sanctuary from all the site seeing.

Next of to Marsdon and South Shields my dads birth place.

As a child I loved Marsdon Groto, I spent many happy days with my parents and sister here, no shops only a bar restaurant wich I never got into as I was not old enough, so at last I had a meal in there and got to see inside it for the first time. There is only a small stoney bay which is called the Groto, and a large rock you can only get to when the tide is out.
The bar is built into the rocks and I was very impressed with it, well I had waited a long time to see inside.



Into Northumberland next wow was I enjoying visiting all my old places, I was a bit worried that Brian might be a bit bored after all these were my memories, but no he said he thought I was very lucky as a child to grow in in such a place, he has since said if he ever bought a place in the Uk this is where it would be.

We visited the Anwick Garden that belong to the duchess of Northumberland, theywould take some beating for colour, water features, well judge for your selves I can't say much that would do them justice.

We stopped of at Holy Island(Lindisfarne) you can only get on and off the tide is out.
In 676, Cuthbert lived and prayed on island of Lindisfarne the st. Cuthbert cross is still on the island but the monestry was ramsacked by Henry 8 when he was distroying many of the cathedrals.

We ended our tour of the Noth East coast at Berwick on Tweed, then went along Hadrian's wall to the lake district on the way crossing the border into Scotland before ending up at Blackpool to visit my sister.

We left Black pool to call on our dear friend Tina's sister Leeta in Sheffield. I was rather nervous but had no need to worry, We were given a warm welcome and a much need cup of tea. Arthur was going to the hospital the next day his birthday. brian enjoyed talking to Arthur, I was sorry I could not of met Sandy and Babs as well but if you are like Tina and Leeta well I know we would of got on well together. Thank you Leeta for making a nervous couple feel so welcome, hope we can meet up again sometime.

The next week visits to Family and the Lincoln Music festival where Hermans Hermits were playing. It was so cold and wet most of the time.

Off back home again now through France.

Jeanette Spain

7 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

That was a very interesting read. It must have been lovely to go down memory lane like that.

granny grimble said...

That was a lovely blog, as usual. I'm glad that you enjoyed your short visit to out house, and your cup of Yorkshire tea! I don't know why you were nervous about it though. I stopped eating people years ago :0) Is there more blog to come, I hope so
X

Jeanette Spain said...

I am always nervous meeting anyone for the first time, although I felt I knew you before we arrive, I am doing our Journey through France now.
Jeanette Spain

weechuff said...

What a nice, interesting blog Jeanette. How lovely to see all the places that you spent so much of your childhood at. I would love to be able to do that:0) I look forward to the next instalment!

Sandie U.K.
xxx

Croom said...

What a lovely blog Jay, I felt like I was there with you. I still can't wait for the cliff hanger lol. ! You wait you lot, if Jay writes it nicely (which she will) then it will have you on the edge of your seat.
Tina xxx

weechuff said...

We are all waiting foir the cliffe hanger!!!!

weechuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.